Sometimes, clients will come to GN to ask for solutions for their new project. Currently a customer said they were working on a project for their client on the improvement of their solid control equipment, and they ask for support from GN Solids Control. As they know GN Solids Control is a specialist for mud solids control and drilling waste management. And GN Solids Control keeps growing fast. GN promotes new equipment and technologies every year. Their challenge is the short time to present to their client a new idea to improve solids control in their rigs. They need to submit their solutions within 3 days. GN Solids Control has rich experience for the zero-discharge mud recovery system, and offers them suitable solution very soon. Their client is looking for a new technology to increase the performance of standard solid control equipment system, improve quality treatment and consequently improve drilling operations with good environmental impact. Their idea which needs more technical support has as principal innovation from the standard process used currently to provide a separate kit including the following high performance equipment’s: 1) Two Decanter centrifuges with barite recovery 2) Combined mud cleaner with desander (means desilter + desander and shakers with one or double level). As their existing solids control system mud cleaner is very poor quality. They need to replace it. 3) Vertical cuttings dryer. 4) Small tanks to collect the fluids and transfer it to rig mud system As their clients may use oil based mud or water based mud. The cuttings type is not for sure. GN Solids Control recommend them to submitted the new idea to their client with two proposed design for OBM and WBM based on two skid: Modular 1: 1 full set of Compacted mud cleaner (desander + desilter) 2 ea feeding pump for the Compacted mud cleaner (desander + desilter) 1 full set of mud tank to collect the fluids recovered from mud cleaner, and transfer it to rig mud system. The tank system is complete with all pipelines and accessories (valves, ladders, guardrails, clean gate, walkways, etc…) within the tank system, explosion proof lighting system, and explosion proof control system for all the equipment within the tank system Modular 2: 1-skid cuttings drying system. Client can choose to use high G shaker for water base mud or VG dryer for OBM. Screw conveyors for solids transfer also showed for their information.
Vertical cuttings dryer is typical processing equipment for drilling cuttings treatment, especially for oil based mud cuttings. It can reduce the oil content in the cuttings to 3 ~5%. In many counties, it is meet the standard for discharge. And the 3 ~ 5% oil on cuttings is easy for transport, and it is easy for next treatment, like thermal desorption unit.
Option 1: Screw conveyor
Auger screw conveyor is the most popular way to transfer drill cuttings to the vertical cuttings dryer, especially for onsite treatment system. Firstly, there will be screw conveyors to collection drill cuttings from solids control shale shaker, desander, desilter and mud cleaner. And then the second screw conveyor system will transfer cuttings to vertical cuttings dryer. After separation, the clean fluids recovered from solids control treatment equipment (decanter centrifuge excepted) will be feed to high speed decanter centrifuge to reduce the mud then, and then the recovered mud will be qualified for reuse again.
But if the drill cuttings is in the waste pit, or the liquid content is very high. Screw conveyor is not suitable.
Option 2: Vacuum transfer system
The vacuum transfer pump system has a wide applications. Vacuum transfer system can be used for nearly all applications. The Vacuum transfer system is a 100% air driven system. It can generate high vacuum pressure for long distance suction up to 50 m. The max. transfer length is up to 1000 m. And as there is no rotating parts in the pump. The vacuum transfer pump system allows for high solids content cuttings and big size cuttings up to 170mm. As the vacuum pressure is huge, while the vacuum transfer pump unit is used to feed for the vertical cuttings dryer, there should be some device, like cleancut, between vacuum pump system and vertical cuttings dryer.
The drill cuttings skip is also called solids skips, waste collection containers, or skips. GN Solids Control can design and make drill cutting skips for the solids control system and drilling waste management systems.
Features of GN made drill cuttings skips (waste collection containers):
1) The drill cuttings skips are designed and fabracated accordance with DNV 2.7-1 standard. GN Solids Control can offer DNV 2.7-1 lifting certificate for the cuttings skips. The drill cuttings skips are capable for onshore and offshore applications.
2) The cuttings box is suitable for hazardous material transportation. The waste collection containers are completed sealed to avoid spill during transportation. And the cover is designed with an easy lock and unlock system for fast opening and closing. It is the ideal container to meet the HSE regulations for hazardous waste movement.
3) As manufacturers with his own research and development department, GN Solids Control can offer customized design drill cuttings skips to collect the drilling waste. The skips can be equipped with forklift access from all four sides, or only from 2 sides.
4) GN Solids Control designed and made drill cuttings skips (waste collection containers) suitable for container shipment. The waste collection containers can be put into container and loader with 2 layers. A full 40ft sea freight high container can load 14 ea waste material collection containers. The design can min. the sea freight cost, and also save clients inland shipping cost to move the waste collection containers.
Applications of the drill cuttings skips:
1) The drill cuttings skips can be used to collect and move the drill cuttings discharged from the drilling rig solids control system, like shale shaker, mud cleaner, desander, desilter and barite recovery decanter centrifuges.
2) The drill cuttings skips can be used to collect and move the cuttings discharged from the drilling waste management system, like high G drying shale shaker, vertical cuttings dryer, high speed decanter centrifuges,
3) slop oil, Oily sludge from tank cleaning, oily sludge from tank bottom, vessel, crude oil tank bottom sludge, etc…
GN solids control brand decanter centrifuge with VFD control panel has been used by many big oil and gas drilling companies, mud service companies, drilling waste management companies. GN Solids Control equipment and the drilling waste management equipment have been exported to 74 countries and regions till now, like U.S.A, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Argentina, UK, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Romania, Brazil, Egypt, Algeria, Qatar, Kuwait, Yemen, Russia, Sudan, Morocco, PNG, South Africa, Nigeria, India, Indonesia, Korea, etc…
GN Solids Control provides 2 options for variable speed control for waste management decanter centrifuge:
Option 1 is variable frequency drive (VFD).
Option 2 is full hydraulic drive control (FHD).
Normally GN Solids Control provide centrifuge with pressurized VFD control panel with air conditioner instead of FHD, the reason is as below:
1) VFD centrifuge is more convenient for maintenance and repair. Because the electric components in the VFD is standard models, most of them are from ABB/Siemens/Schneider brand, the users can source it locally if they need to replace some parts. But the FHD should be repaired by the manufacturer if it failed to work.
2) VFD centrifuge is much cheaper than FHD. Until now there is no many good manufacturer of the core components of the FHD, we have to import, which leads the production cost very high. VFD centrifuge is more popular because it is a cost-effective option.
3) GN Solids Control had noticed to fix the inverter and other electrical components inside the VFD control panel during shipment, so you can be rest assured that they will not be loosed or fall off during transportation.
4) GN Solids Control have protection inside the VFD for Voltage and Current instability when start the centrifuge, if the change of voltage/current is in a acceptable range, it will protect the inverter from being damaged.
If you want to know more information of more about the project reference of GN Solids Control, please you contact GN team.
GN solids control is a leading manufacturer for high quality decanter centrifuges for oil & gas drilling, for fine solids separation and for waste management applications.
The specially designed telescopic skid is welcomed by GN clients as its compact design and the convenient usage. GN design telescopic skid is very user friendly, and it is conformed with the HSE requirement at jobsite. GN normal design telescopic skid is for 1 set of the high speed decanter centrifuge or big bowl decanter centrifuge. It is available for GNLW363CG-VFD centrifuge, the big bowl centrifuge GNLW453C-VFD and GNLW553C-VFD. During shipment, operators only need to fall down the telescopic skid to suit for the container shipment. During working, operators can lift the skid to a suitable height and then fix it.
The skid is complete with foldable walkways, guardrail and stairs. The normal design is with ladder, operator need to climbing up and down carefully. For GN centrifuge skid, they use stairs with guardrail at each side for security. It is easy and safety for operators goes up and down. Furthermore, the VFD control panel and the NTEZSCH screw pump feeding for centrifuges are both mounted on the skid for compact design and fast movement. If clients request, GN can offer customized design to make a telescopic skid suitable for more than 1 centrifuge models.
Many jobsite people, like ADCO engineers said, it is the first time to see a telescopic skid design like GN do. They have many brands centrifuges. But no company offer a telescopic skid like GN. They are amazing when they see GN design telescopic skid with GN decanter centrifuges at their jobsite. It is very nice, convenient and safety for the jobsite people. From the telescopic skid design, they can see GN is really the one to think more for the clients. They have confidence to use any other GN Solids Control equipment and drilling waste managemnet equipment.
In the past decants, economic development is the main concern of most countries and governments. It generates huge quantity of pollutions and wastes. One kind of waste is the polluted soil. Especially the heavy contaminated soil generated from chemical industry and drilling rig and oil field. The contaminated soil contents different kinds of waste oil, heavy oil, lubrication oil, diesel oil, grease oil, chemicals and other kinds of waste materials.
The drilling waste can be stocked in the waste pit or collected by trucks or vacuum truck, and dumped near the site work for treatment.
The contaminated soil material can be dumped by using bracket loader to the newly supplied pump feeders or screw conveyer to the treating system for cleaning and separation.
And then the contaminated soil material can be then transported via a belt conveyer or screw conveyor or other kind of transfer device to cleaning tank. Hot water will be added to the tank, to mix and heat in the washing tank. The cleaning tank is a tank with mud agitator and transfer pump, and with the function of mixing and heating. The mixing tank heating tank can be a vertical tank on Horizontal tank.
The mixed heated material are mixed with water and chemical and pumped from the Mix and heat washing tank to Soil Process Tank. In this step, shale shaker can be use to separate solid from liquid.
Centrifuge separation system will be followed after shale shaker separation. Chemicals should be added to the centrifuge for a better separation. Most of fine soil can be moved in this step. With chemical dosing, some of the fine soil smaller than 2 ~ 5 microns can be removed.
The liquid mixture from centrifuge separation will be moved to 3-phase separation system to separate soil, waste and oil. The recovered water can be reused in this heavy contaminated soil treatment system as dilution and heating water. While the recovered oil can be sell to the oil treatment factories.
GNSP-40 Vacuum pump is a full air driven pump. It is specially designed and made high solids contents cuttings transfer. As the pump is driven by air compressor, there is no electrical motor. It can be used in hazardous area and zone 1 areas. Advantages of GNSP-40 Vacuum pump:
1) GNSP-40 Vacuum pump is a full air driven pump. It will not generate spark and does not request electrical power. It is the safest pump for Zone 1 environment and for hazardous environment.
2) GNSP-40 Vacuum pump can handling materials with up to 80% solids content. Other pump cannot do it.
3) GNSP-40 Vacuum pump can handling cuttings up to 70mm.
4) GNSP-40 Vacuum pump can transfer to max. 1000m away. It is the ideal equipment for long distance transfer.
5) GNSP-40 Vacuum pump utilizes pipelines for suction and discharging. There is no spilling during transfer.
6) It takes a mini. Footprint for long distance transfer.
Materials can be transferred by GNSP-40 Vacuum pump:
1) Waste mud and drilling waste cuttings discharged from solids control equipment, mud cleaner, centrifuge, etc…
2) Drilling mud (Oil based mud or water based mud) in the solids control systems
3) Waste materials in the waste pit. Normally the pit is with a big depth. The waste material in the pit is with high density and viscosity. Normal equipment cannot handle it.
4) For the hazardous waste recovery.
5) Vacuum pump can transfer oily sludge waste and the sediment on tank bottom.
6) Vessel bottom cleaning
7) Animal waste and etc…
Besides vacuum pump, screw conveyor is another option for high solids content cuttings transfer. It is widely used to transfer high solids content cuttings from one equipment another for further treatment. Or transfer the materials to the collection box. For a reliable strength, the max. length of a single screw conveyer is 15m. The transfer angle should be less than 30 degree. Normally, more than 1 screw conveyer should be used for the jobsite layout and transfer.
GN Solids control is a leading manufacturing on drilling waste hazardous material transfer. GN offers turnkey solution for different hazardous waste generated from oil field.
Below are some major equipment popularly for drilling waste handling.
Item 1: Drilling waste mud and cuttings container
1) The drilling cuttings can be used to collect cuttings from solids control equipment: shale shaker, mud cleaner, desander, desilter and centrifuge, and move to drilling cuttings treatment system for process.
2) The container can be used to collect drilling cuttings from vertical cuttings dryer, High G dryer, and drilling waste high speed centrifuge, and move to TDU or stabilization unit for treatment.
3) The container can be used to store and take waste mud and cuttings from offshore platform and take to the onshore yard waste management system for treatment.
4) The top cover sealing type drilling cuttings container can be used to store and handling hydrocarbon contaminated drill cuttings.
Item 2: Drilling cuttings stabilization unit
The GN drilling cuttings solidification or stabilization unit can be used as the final treatment of drilling cuttings or waste sludge. The stabilizer unit can be used after the drying treatment equipment, like vertical cuttings dryer, high G drying shaker, drilling waste big bowl or high speed decanter centrifuges.
Items 3: Drilling waste Vertical cuttings dryer
Vertical Cutting Dryer utilize centrifugal force to dry drilled solids in oil or synthetic base fluids. A stainless steel screen bowl treat the drilling waste mud with cuttings and waste oil, the centrifugal force can be up 900RPM with G force to 420G or super high speed 1200RPM with G force 750G. Liquid is forced through the screen bowl openings, but the solids and cuttings will be removed by the angled flights attached to the cone, as the cones rotate slightly slower than the bowl. Tungsten carbide material protects the flights from abrasive solids and ensures long operational life. This aids in maintaining a constant gap between the scroll and screen bowl, which is crucial for proper operation.
2 sets of waste management processing system has left GN Solids Control Beijing factory and was dispatched to Tianjin sea port. The 2 sets waste treatment system is for a client from MENA region. The client is very happy with GN turnkey solution in this field. They compared different processing technology and finally decided to put GN Solids Control in his honour.
The 2 sets waste management was designed to suitable for container shipment. It means every item of the 2 processing systems can be put into container for ocean shipment.
The complete set oily sludge separation system and sand washing system was out into 9 ea 40ft high container. They will arrive the client’s yard around 40 days.
What will the 2 sets waste management processing system be used for?
One set of the system we call it oily sludge processing system. It was used to treat the oily sludge waste with 20PCT solids and soil phase.
Main equipment of the oily sludge processing system: vacuum pump to transfer the raw material to treating system, High G drying shale shaker with deck sealing device, big bowl decanter centrifuge with high speed, chemical dosing system with the function of 3 types of chemical dosing, more importantly, there is an 3-phase separation system after above mentioned equipment. It is used to separate the water, oil and soil.
The second system is a sand washing system. It can be used to remove the high solids content oily waste. The no. 2 sand washing system is very similar to the no. 1 oily sludge separation system, but the processing technology is different. And there is no shale shaker and the transfer equipment is different.
Furthermore, GN Solids Control offered high quality drill cuttings container for the 2 systems. The cuttings and solids container is suitable for offshore application.
When the 2 waste processing systems arrive client’s jobsite, GN Solids Control will send engineers to help for the commissioning of the 2 systems. And also offer trainer to the client’s operators to help them know how to operator and systems and how to maintain each equipment.
Full hydraulic drive (FHD) centrifuge is widely used in oil and gas drilling field. It can be used in solids control system for barite recovery or fine solids separation. It can also be used in drilling cuttings treatment system. As the oil and gas drilling flied is normally hazardous. Especially in the desert in Middle East and Africa, it is very high temperature may over 55 C degrees. The normal motor drive recommended ambient temperature is max. 55 C degree.
A full hydraulic drive decanter centrifuge is components of below parts:
1) Decanter centrifuge main body
2) Hydraulic motor
3) Hydraulic drive system
4) Control system
The function of a full hydraulic drive (FHD) centrifuge?
A centrifuge with hydraulic drive is an interesting object from the fluid dynamics point of view. In order to achieve high efficiency, the hydraulic resistance of the inner, quickly rotating with the rotor, passages should be minimized. At the meanwhile the fluid should go through an area far away from the axis of rotation, where the centrifugal force is bigger. Nozzle efficiency is crucial. The air in the gap between the rotor and the centrifuge cover also moves, and the air friction makes a significant contribution. Jets from the nozzles might break down into a fine spray and hit the rotor, slowing it down. It is quite a challenging job to optimize the full hydraulic drive (FHD) centrifuge. But it must to be done.
Advantages of a full hydraulic drive (FHD) centrifuge for oil and gas drilling:
1) Full hydraulic drive system to use in high temperature ambient for heavy mud with flexible bowl and differential speed.
2) Durable & less maintenance. The centrifugal casting bowl from duplex stainless steel, Tungsten carbide tiles for screw protection, tungsten carbide inserts for mud distribution port and solids discharge port, SKF bearings to give the centrifuge maximum operation life with less maintenance.
3) Heavy Duty. The torque gearbox is up to 4163 N.M for heavy mud separation.